Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dream Connection



Last night I had a beer with my colleagues celebrating the lack of Monday blues this week. Went home and decided that I somehow needed to get some proper shut-eye so I bought myself two more tall cans of beer to keep me company. Was online chatting with a couple of folks and after stuffing a piece of Kraft singles down my throat and gnawing on a piece of my mother's fried chicken,I conked out at 11pm. For the first time in 4 days I managed to get a decent 6 hours of kip until my alarm went off at 5:30am. I know I'm being ridiculous with wanting to hit the gym without proper rest and bouts of nausea throughout the day but I'm hoping that the exercise will help re-adjust my sleep cycle and set my body back on track. But that's easier said than done.

So between 5:30 and 7:00, I dozed in and out of some sort weird half-sleep session and was plagued by a vivid dream/nightmare that left me very perturbed even after getting up. The whole thing is so bizarre that I had to go into work and Google the interpretation of it. Me being the curious cat that I am, could not bear not knowing. But let me explain what happened during the dream/nightmare.

We were in a carpark. There was another person present. I could not see this person's face but I knew this person was male and his name is Archer. (Go ahead, laugh your ass off because even I'm like wtf? And I don't know anyone by the name of Archer in real life.)

So for some reason Archer is running around the carpark (as a form of recreational activity I assume), and then Archer suddenly hurries over to the car where I am and tells me, "Babe, help me. We need to go. Something is after me."

I get out of the car and run with Archer. We enter some building and there are long corridors and lots of doors. Weirdly enough, I have keys to all the doors. A gigantic bunch of them. We fumble at every door trying to find the right key that will unlock each door. I struggle with the keys, dropping them in a haste and Archer starts telling me to hurry up or else we're both going to die. Whatever is after us catches up to us. I manage to open the last door at the last moment and shove Archer through it, yelling at him to run.

This is the point where I startle myself awake. I have no idea if I made it through that last door.


My online research on the basis of 'being chased' and 'running' in the realm of dreams came up with several interpretations, most of which happen to be telling me the same thing. Here is a basic interpretation according to dreammoods.com:

"Chase dreams are one of several common dream themes, stemming from feelings of anxiety in your waking life. Flee and flight is an instinctive response to a physical threat in the environment. In these dreams, the scenario features you being pursued by an attacker, an animal, a monster or an unknown figure, who wants to hurt or possibly kill you. Consequently, you run, you hide or you try to outwit your pursuer. Your actions in the dream parallel how you would respond to pressure and cope with fears, stress or various situations in your waking life. Instead of confronting the situation, your dream indicates that you have a tendency to run away and avoid the issue. Ask yourself who is chasing you, so that you can gain an understanding and insight of the source of your fears and anxieties.

The pursuer or attacker who is chasing you in your dream may also represent an aspect of yourself. Your own feelings of anger, jealousy, fear, and possibly love, can manifest itself as the threatening figure. Or the shadowy figure can also symbolize rejected characteristics of your self. You may be projecting these feelings onto the unknown chaser. Next time you a dream of being chased, turn around and confront your pursuer. Ask them why they are chasing you. Perhaps you are running away from something. What are you trying to run from?

Consider the distance or gap between you and your pursuer. This indicates your closeness to the issue. If the pursuer is gaining on you, then it suggests that the problem is not going to go away. The problem will surround you until you confront and address it."


Bugger.
This doesn't help me at all. Yes, I am stressed, anxious and generally upset about the break-up and I can accept that its affecting more severely on a sub-conscious level than I'd care to admit. To be honest, I am just trying to take one day at a time and I'm going through the motions hoping that my life will return to having some semblance of normalcy soon.

But there is one piece of good news though. At least I didn't cry myself to sleep last night.

2 comments:

  1. That's it, we're getting auralized and we can pick up some stuff there too. To help with the sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they sell beer as a sleep aid there? Lol.

    ReplyDelete